Serious burn injuries are often described by sufferers, as exquisite pain. In medical terms, this means that the pain is excruciating and unbearable.
It is often stated that the pain from burn injuries is greater than pain suffered from broken bones and other injuries.
Furthermore, the consequences of serious burn injuries, for the sufferer does not end with the initial surgery. The burning in effect continues indefinitely because of contractures which require repeated surgeries to release the contractures.
The severity of burn injuries ranges from minor, to first and second-degree burns, to the most serious ie third-degree burns.
Types of Burn Injuries in Personal Injury Claims
Serious burn injuries can occur in a number of ways, but some of the most common causes of burn injuries in personal injury claims include:
- Workplace Accidents : Workers are often victims of severe burning due to faulty electrics, welding, negligent use of inflammatory liquids and other products and explosions.
- Motor Vehicle Accidents : Serious burn injuries can be caused by high speed car accidents, not only from exploding fuel but also from red hot exhaust pipes.
- Public Liability : severe burns can be caused by actions such as someone unwisely pouring kerosene or petrol on barbecues, backyard fire-pits and the like.
- Product defects: Severe burn injuries can occur when a product, such as a toaster or hair straightener, is defective and poses a fire risk.
- Travel Accidents : Recently, several tourists suffered catastrophic burns whilst visiting a volcano on Mount White off the coast of New Zealand. Sadly, several of the victims suffered fatal internal burns, which are generally survivable. Another terrible example of catastrophic and deadly burns is the Bali bombings. Many of the burn victims from that terrible event were airlifted to Darwin and Perth to undergo lifesaving emergency treatment and ongoing rehabilitation.
What to do after serious burn injuries
It is important to obtain medical treatment for burns as soon after the event as possible to provide the best chance of reducing the risk of infection and expediting vital medical treatment.
When you are medically capable you should contact an expert personal injury lawyer to discuss the options available for being compensated by the insurer of the person or persons responsible for the accident which caused your burns.
If your burns were caused by the negligence/fault of another person, you may be entitled to receive compensation for the following:
- Payment of medical expenses and rehabilitation costs.
- Pain and suffering, including disfigurement and unsightly scarring.
- Loss of earnings and/or loss of earning capacity.
- The cost of care and domestic assistance you have needed and will need in the future.
The sooner you consult an expert personal injury lawyer the sooner the full facts of the accident can be ascertained and the person or persons responsible for the accident, causing the burns, to be identified.
An experienced personal injury lawyer will help you to understand your entitlement compensation under the law and will take all necessary steps to maximise your prospects of successfully bringing a compensation claim against the perpetrator.
How Stacks Goudkamp can help if you have suffered serious burn injuries
- Evaluate your claim: An expert personal injury lawyer will review the details of your injury and advise you on your legal rights and options.
- Build a strong case: Your lawyer will gather evidence and build a strong case to support your claim for compensation, including medical records, witness statements, and expert reports.
- Negotiate with the insurance company. We will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
We will act for you on a no win, no fee basis, which means that you will only pay legal fees if your injury claim is successful. This provides peace of mind for clients, as they do not have to worry about paying for legal fees upfront.
If you have sustained serious burn injuries, it is important to seek legal representation as soon as possible. Contact Stacks Goudkamp today to schedule a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer and learn more about your legal options.
Written by Tom Goudkamp OAM