Building and Construction Failures

Building and construction failures can be tricky legal situations, and it’s not always clear who is responsible when an injury has occurred. If you have been injured on a public or private property due to building and construction failures, Stacks Goudkamp can help you pursue compensation. Our personal injury lawyers are experienced with these types of claims, and they can guide you through your potential case with clarity and compassion.

Read our article for more information on building and construction failures or contact a member of our team today for advice.

Building and Construction Failures Explained

Accidents can happen in any location, from your rental apartment to holiday accommodation, or even your friend’s home. You could even be injured while walking down the street past a construction site.

If you or a loved one has been injured due to a failure in building construction or maintenance, you could be entitled to compensation via a public liability claim. Public liability claims cover a wide range of compensation for individuals who have experienced pain, suffering and financial losses due to an injury in a public or private place.

What Type of Building and Construction Failures Are Covered Under Public Liability?

It doesn’t matter how or where you are injured; if an accident occurs due to construction or maintenance negligence, you may be entitled to compensation.

Some circumstances where you may be able to make a public liability claim include:

  • You are injured when the balcony collapses while visiting your friend’s house
  • Fencing around a construction site buckles and falls on you as you are walking past
  • Your child is injured after falling from an unsecured or unmaintained staircase, balcony or window at your holiday accommodation
  • A loved one has drowned or almost drowned due to insufficient fencing around a garden swimming pool

You can find more examples of building and construction failures here.

Who Is Responsible for My Injury?

Once you determine the nature and viability of your claim, it’s important to determine who you will be bringing your claim against. In cases of building and construction failure, it’s not always clear who is responsible for an incident. Possible parties that may be deemed responsible for your injury include:

  • The body responsible for the upkeep of the property: This could mean the individual owner of the property, an Owners Corporation, or even a government body, depending on the type of property you were injured in.
  • The contractor employed to undertake maintenance: Responsibility could also extend the contractors who were hired to maintain the property on the owner’s behalf.
  • The construction company (or their insurer): If you are injured due to failures on a construction site, the construction company itself may be responsible. In this case, your lawyers will probably pursue compensation through the construction company’s insurance.

Seek Legal Advice for Your Public Liability Claim

If poor building construction or maintenance has caused your injury and you’re not sure what to do next, talk to the team at Stacks Goudkamp. With offices in Sydney, Liverpool and Newcastle, we can help you understand your claim, the parties involved, and any time limits which apply.

For more information, explore some relevant case studies, call us on 1800 251 800 or contact us online today.